WANTED: BEST FRIENDS
Compiled by Mandy ConoverWelcome to our web page entitled "Friendship." This page is an extension of the topic "Social Issues" in The House On Mango Street. The following on this page will discuss the examples found in The House On Mango Street involving Esperanza Cordero and those who live in her neighborhood. You will read several portions of want ads created by students who read this book and thought about what exactly it is that they look for in a friend. You will be introduced to Esperanza's desperation for a friend and her loneliness because of it. At one point in the novel, she is so desperate for someone to share her secrets with that she pays a girl from her neighborhood five dollars to be her "friend." While this situation is unique in itself, everyone can relate to it because... everyone needs a friend. And everyone had been lonely and / or desperate at one time or another in their life.
Hopefully, by the time you are finished with this reading, you will be inspired to examine the friendships in your own life, find the Esperanza inside yourself, and maybe even read the book.
1. Musts: Kind, dependable, trustworthy, daring, willing to try new things, sense of humor, likes animals/sports, someone who isnt afraid of what other people think of them, isnt afraid to speak their mind.
-Contact A.J. (if you fit this description) at 555-1234
2. Friend Wanted:
Someone to talk to, share interests, go to concerts with. Someone I can be myself around. Insanity over No Doubt is helpful, but certainly not required.
3. Wanted: 14-year old female seeks Best Friend...
ages 13-16; interests include: laughing, playing the piano, horseback riding, having fun, going to the movies.
-Call 555-1234 if you are exciting, trustworthy, loyal, understanding, intelligent, and in need of a friend. Ask for Elizabeth.
4. ~Best Friend Wanted~
-If youre interested, please call 555-1234. Ask for Lauren.
5. Wanted: A Best Friend
-Interested? Call Stephanie 555-1234.
6. Wanted...Best Friend
Sound like you? Gimme a call @ 555-1234. Ask for Mandy.
7. Need a friend?
8. Tall, blond female in search of a best friend. Must like athletics, serious talks, joking. Must love to party also. Must be animal/people friendly as well. M/F respond.
9. Ninth grade female seeking trustworthy, intelligent, funny, understanding, spontaneous, out-going, creative friend between the ages of thirteen and sixteen. Call 555-1234!
10. If you are a high school student and you are in need of a new best friend, please call 555-1234. I enjoy football, rap, Sony Playstation. Ask for Mikael.
You are one of who have come to our home. Thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: Sunday, March 18, 2001
©1998 - Hill, Lara and her English 1 Honors Class